Bombo shooting

Bombo shooting

Bombo, Uganda

March 9, 2013
12:12 a.m.

Attack type

Mass murder



Non-fatal injuries


Patrick Okot Odoch

The Bombo shooting was a mass murder that occurred in Bombo, Uganda on March 9, 2013. The perpetrator, Patrick Okot Odoch, a private in the Uganda People’s Defence Force, shot and killed nine people in a bar and, while fleeing, a tenth victim. Odoch fled and was arrested in ten days later, and was charged with murder and attempted murder.[1] On June 4, Odoch was found guilty of murder and sentenced to 90 years imprisonment.[2]


1 Background
2 Shooting

2.1 Victims

3 Arrest and conviction
4 See also
5 References
6 External links

On March 5, 2013, a combined group of army deserters and assorted armed criminals attacked the Mbuya barracks belonging to the Uganda People’s Defence Force (UPDF) on March 5, 2013, to steal the weapons located there.
Patrick Okot Odoch, a private in the UPDF who had a history of poor behavior and previously had been arrested for consuming bhang, was attached to the nearby Bombo barracks.[3] Inspired by the chaos at the Mbuya barracks, on the following night of March 6, Odoch had wanted to rape Grace Chandiru, the 14-year-old daughter of his commander, Sergeant Onesmus Odule. Odoch saw Grace at the Yumbe Boys’ Bar in Pakele, a bar frequented by local military personnel and their families, and attempted to rape her.[4] Odoch fled when Grace raised alarm, prompting her father Sergeant Odule to report the incident to police on the next day, March 7, for which Odoch promised revenge.
Odoch entered the bar, locked the doors, before opening them again and leaving, probably planning his shooting.[5] Odoch entered the bar again the next day at 9 p.m. while the Odules were present, this time with a colleague, however the owner told him to drink somewhere else, referring him to an incident that occurred on March 7.[6]
During the night of March 8, while Odoch was on duty as part of the 23rd Air Defence Regiment, he deserted his post armed with an AK-47 assault rifle and 30 rounds of ammunition.[7][6] Upon entering the bar on March 9 at 12:12am, Odoch opened fire on the people present, killing Sergeant Odule, his wife Florence, the owner of the bar Amina Aseru, as well as four other soldiers and two civilians, while two people were wounded.[5] Odoch then left and went towards Gogonya, 1.5km away from the bar,